ABC bestowed the 2022 Fredi Kronenberg Excellence in Analysis and Schooling in Botanicals for Ladies’s Well being Award this week, in line with an ABC announcement.
Mahady is an affiliate professor and director of the Medical Pharmacognosy Laboratories within the School of Pharmacy at UIC and an professional in botanical dietary dietary supplements and phytomedicines for girls’s well being and different circumstances.
ABC mentioned it created the Fredi Kronenberg Award in 2018 in honor of distinguished researcher, educator, and longtime ABC Board of Trustees member Fredi Kronenberg, PhD, who died in April 2017. Kronenberg devoted her skilled life to the research of medicinal vegetation and phytomedicines for girls’s well being circumstances. Particularly Kronenberg was on the forefront of analysis into black cohosh (Actaea racemosa) for the therapy of menopausal signs.
Kronenberg, a pioneer within the discipline of integrative drugs, co-founded the Richard and Hinda Rosenthal Heart for Complementary and Different Medication at Columbia College. It was the primary such program at an Ivy League college and the primary government-funded CAM analysis and academic middle.
Mahady earned her bachelor’s diploma in pharmaceutical chemistry from Dalhousie College in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, and a doctorate in pharmacognosy at UIC.
Present concentrate on transcriptomics
Mahady focuses on the chemistry and pharmacology of pure merchandise, dietary dietary supplements, and conventional medicines and their functions for girls’s reproductive well being circumstances. Her present pursuits embrace transcriptomics (the research of the RNA molecules in a cell or tissue) and proteomics (the large-scale research of proteins) of pure merchandise in most cancers, sarcopenia (muscle loss because of ageing), and osteoporosis. Mahady’s analysis has acquired funding from the World Well being Group (WHO), the Nationwide Institutes of Well being (NIH) and different distinguished funding organizations.
“I deeply admire and am honored to obtain the ABC Fredi Kronenberg Award for 2022,” Mahady mentioned in an announcement. “Fredi was an expensive good friend and colleague, and I at all times appreciated her ardour for the work and her joie de vivre.”
“A whole lot of thousands and thousands of girls worldwide nonetheless rely day by day on conventional drugs and medicinal vegetation for his or her fundamental well being care wants. Medicinal vegetation are used to deal with the whole lot from anxiousness and despair, to PMS, being pregnant, menopausal signs, and far more. Nonetheless, solely a fraction of those vegetation have been investigated scientifically, so loads of work nonetheless is left to be carried out within the discipline,” Mahady continued.
Sixth award in present collection
Mahady’s award is the sixth of the annual awards ABC has given out in its present award season. Different 2022 honorees embrace:
- Mark Blumenthal Natural Group Builder Award to Emily Ruff, a neighborhood herbalist, director of Sage Mountain Botanical Sanctuary in Vermont, and founder and CEO of the Florida College of Holistic Dwelling. This annual award is given to people who’ve performed a big function in creating a way of neighborhood amongst herbalists, botanical researchers, members of the herb and pure merchandise communities and industries, and others who work within the space of medicinal and fragrant vegetation.
- ABC James A. Duke Excellence in Botanical Literature Award in each the reference/technical and shopper/common classes, which this yr was divded in two. The recipient of the award within the reference/technical class is A Historical past of the Korean Ginseng Trade (Korea Ginseng Corp.) by Il-Moo Chang, PhD, and the recipient of the award within the shopper/common class is The Plant Hunter: A Scientist’s Quest for Nature’s Subsequent Medicines (Viking) by Cassandra Leah Quave, PhD.
- ABC Norman R. Farnsworth Excellence in Botanical Analysis Award to Guido F. Pauli, PhD, a Distinguished Professor on the College of Illinois Chicago (UIC) and the Norman R. Farnsworth Professor of Pharmacognosy on the UIC School of Pharmacy.
- The inaugural ABC Steven Foster Botanical Conservation and Sustainability Award to the United Plant Savers (UpS), a nonprofit, grassroots plant conservation group. The award acknowledges excellence in conservation, sustainability, and regenerative farming efforts associated to medicinal and fragrant vegetation. It’s named in honor of botanist, writer, and photographer Steven Foster, who died on January 15, 2022, and commemorates his skilled curiosity, writing, and advocacy work on this discipline.
- ABC Varro E. Tyler Business Funding in Phytomedicinal Analysis Award to Max Zeller Söhne AG (“Zeller”), a Swiss firm that focuses on the event, manufacturing, and advertising of clinically studied natural medicines. Zeller is the main producer of phytomedicines for the Swiss market, in line with its web site. The historical past of the corporate dates again to 1864.