A seven-person jury on Wednesday decided that Amber Heard defamed Johnny Depp within the high-profile Depp vs. Heard case.
Driving the information: The trial between the 2 stars in Fairfax, Va. had attracted immense consideration on social media, the place many had sided with Depp.
- The jury awarded Depp $15 million — $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages. The choose later lowered the punitive damages to $350,000, the utmost below Virginia regulation — bringing the entire awarded to Depp round $10.4 million, NBCNews reported.
- The jury additionally discovered that Heard proved defamation from statements by Depp’s lawyer, Adam Waldman. She acquired $2 million in compensatory damages.
- The jury did not fill out the related damages at first. The choose requested them to fill that half out earlier than studying the decision.
- The jury deliberated for about 14 hours, CNN experiences.
- Heard was current for the decision, however Depp was not.
What they’re saying: “Six years in the past, my life, the lifetime of my kids, the lives of these closest to me, and in addition, the lives of the individuals, who for a lot of, a few years have supported and believed in me have been without end modified. All within the blink of an eye fixed,” Depp mentioned in an Instagram put up.
- “And 6 years later, the jury gave me my life again. I’m really humbled,” he added.
- “My resolution to pursue this case, figuring out very nicely the peak of the authorized hurdles that I’d be dealing with and the inevitable, worldwide spectacle into my life, was solely made after appreciable thought.”
Heard additionally launched a press release:
- “The frustration I really feel right this moment is past phrases,” Heard mentioned in a tweeted statement. “I am heartbroken that the mountain of proof nonetheless was not sufficient to face as much as the disproportionate energy, affect, and sway of my ex-husband.
- “I am much more disillusioned with what this verdict means for different girls,” she added. “It’s a setback.”
- “I am unhappy I misplaced this case. However I’m sadder nonetheless that I appear to have misplaced a proper I believed I had as an American — to talk freely and overtly.”
Catch up quick: Depp sued Heard for defamation over an op-ed she wrote within the Washington Submit in 2018, claiming she was a sufferer of home violence. Heard countersued Depp for defamation over his allegations that her claims are false.
- After over a 12 months of authorized sparring, Heard filed a countersuit towards Depp in 2020, alleging that he defamed her when a lawyer representing him launched statements calling her allegations of abuse a hoax.
The massive image: This trial can be remembered as the primary main courtroom occasion to go viral within the TikTok period. The memes and clips that went viral on social media helped to propel report curiosity and stay viewership of trial.
At instances, the trial drew a lot engagement on-line, that it surpassed a few of the nation’s greatest and most urgent information tales, together with the leaked Supreme Court docket resolution and Russia’s warfare in Ukraine.
- On YouTube alone, hundreds of thousands of individuals have been tuning in to stay feeds of the decision announcement on the courthouse, together with a whopping 3.2 million viewers on Regulation&Crime community’s YouTube channel.
- Different channels additionally noticed huge numbers, together with 598,000 stay viewers on Inside Version’s channel, 450,000 stay viewers on Fox Information’ channel. 289,000 stay viewers on NBC As we speak’s channel, 223,000 stay viewers on NBC Information’ channel, 141,000 stay viewers on Leisure Tonight’s channel, 68,000 on CBS Information and 88,000 stay viewers on ABC Information’ channel.
Go deeper: YouTube creators are feasting on the Depp v. Heard trial
Editor’s word: This story has been up to date with new particulars all through.