Hello there. It is Monday, July 11, and also you’re studying The Loop, a fast wrap-up of in the present day’s information.
Let’s begin right here: Kyrgios seems again at his Wimbledon marketing campaign
In case you missed it — Nick Kyrgios misplaced the Wimbledon males’s singles last to Serbia’s Novak Djokovic within the early hours of this morning (Australian time), after 4 hard-fought units.
After the match wrapped up, the Australian mirrored on the efforts of Djokovic, who he had by no means misplaced to earlier than.
“Hats off to him,” Kyrgios mentioned.
“That was a hell of a match. I assumed I served nicely. I put myself ready to win, however I simply wasn’t capable of play these clutch factors nicely in any respect in the present day.”
Kyrgios mentioned the hardest factor for him was Djokovic’s relentless strain.
“In huge moments, it simply felt like he was by no means rattled,” Kyrgios mentioned.
“I really feel like that is his best power. He simply seems utterly inside himself the entire time.”
On Instagram, Kyrgios mentioned his run on the match was a “hell of a journey”.
At present we heard quite a bit about COVID-19 boosters and variants
Right here are some things to know:
- From in the present day, Australians over the age of 30 are eligible to get a fourth COVID-19 vaccine dose
- The nation’s skilled vaccine advisory physique ATAGI says it recommends anybody older than 50 ought to obtain a fourth dose
- ATAGI says the variety of individuals with the virus has elevated in current months and new Omicron subvariants are exacerbating the variety of diseases
Individuals are getting reinfected sooner than earlier than amid the rise of the BA.4 and BA.5 strains, so Australia’s high public well being officers have beneficial that the time frame through which a COVID-positive particular person is taken into account immune after an infection be slashed from 12 weeks to twenty-eight days
Information you would possibly have missed
- Former senior bureaucrat Jenny West has informed a NSW parliamentary inquiry how she was supplied the $500,000 per 12 months position because the state’s commerce commissioner to the US earlier than the provide was withdrawn and the job controversially supplied to former deputy premier John Barilaro. Listed below are 5 key moments from the proof Ms West gave in the present day, and this is the second she mentioned she was informed the place was “a gift for somebody”
- Former Sydney trainer Chris Dawson is now awaiting a verdict after the conclusion of his prolonged homicide trial, with the choose indicating he hopes to ship a verdict “comparatively shortly”. Mr Dawson has pleaded not responsible to murdering his first spouse, Lynette Dawson, who vanished from the town’s northern seashores in January 1982
Here is what Australia has been trying to find on-line
- Jason Roberts. The Melbourne man, who was accused of the murders of two Victorian law enforcement officials in 1998, has left jail for the primary time in many years after being acquitted in a retrial. At present, after three months and 91 witnesses, a jury discovered him not responsible of the murders of Sergeant Gary Silk and Senior Constable Rodney Miller
- NSW flag. The New South Wales authorities has backflipped on its determination to spend round $25 million to put in a brand new flag pole that will completely fly the Aboriginal flag on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. After public backlash, the federal government will now substitute the bridge’s present NSW state flag with the Aboriginal flag, and says it can allocate the cash it could have used on a brand new flag pole to Indigenous initiatives
Another factor: Try this footage of an avalanche in Kyrgyzstan
Footage of an enormous avalanche in Kyrgyzstan‘s Tian Shan mountains has gone viral, and for good cause.
The video, shared by trekker Harry Shimmin on Instagram, reveals snow and rock shifting down a mountain within the distance, earlier than reaching hikers who had been compelled to take cowl.
“As soon as it was over the adrenaline rush hit me onerous. I used to be solely lined in a small layer of snow, and not using a scratch. I felt giddy,” Shimmin wrote in his publish.
“I knew the remainder of the group was additional away from the avalanche so must be okay … It was solely later we realised simply how fortunate we would been. If we had walked 5 minutes additional on our trek, we might all be lifeless.”
Here is the clip in all of its terrifying glory:
You are updated!
We’ll be again tomorrow with one other avalanche of reports protection.