ABC Information introduced a dedication to centered, investigative, easy reporting by launching a every day collection, “Weapons in America,” that may dedicate newsgathering sources from across the nation to offer in-depth protection of gun points affecting america. As gun violence continues to soar and the continued debate intensifies, ABC Information is dedicated to reporting the details and exploring the matters associated to ongoing gun points, together with the rise in mass shootings and youth firearm suicides, gun buying legal guidelines, psychological well being, proposed laws and the debates in Congress, different international locations’ options to gun issues and extra. ABC Information’ staff of anchors, correspondents, reporters and producers will fan throughout the nation to deal with communities each massive and small, exploring the issues, challenges and doable options forward. Experiences might be seen on “Good Morning America,” “World Information Tonight with David Muir,” “Nightline,” “This Week with George Stephanopoulos,” “GMA3: What You Must Know,” “Good Morning America: Weekend Version,” ABC Information Dwell, ABC Information Digital and ABC Audio.
“Too typically the information cycle strikes rapidly from one mass capturing to a different, with out offering total context and asking sufficient in-depth questions,” stated Kim Godwin, president of ABC Information. “We’re responding to the residents we serve — individuals on this nation, a lot of whom help the second modification, however are additionally afraid to ship their kids to high school.”
Moreover, ABC Information may have a continued presence in Uvalde, Texas, for the following 12 months within the wake of the Robb Elementary lethal mass capturing tragedy. “Uvalde: 365,” led by the investigative unit, will deal with how such acts of violence have an effect on a group lengthy after the headlines fade. A staff of correspondents and producers from throughout the information division will keep in Uvalde and supply ongoing protection because the investigation continues and the group tries to heal.
To launch the brand new dedication, “Weapons in America” will function full-day protection and reporting throughout all packages and platforms on Tuesday, June 7, together with the next:
– “Good Morning America” will function in-depth protection on the rise in gun violence, together with Amy Robach’s unique interview with Arnulfo Reyes, a Robb Elementary fourth grade instructor whose college students had been shot by the gunman in his classroom. Co-anchor Robin Roberts speaks with White Home press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre about her new place inside the Biden Administration in addition to the administration’s plans to fight ongoing gun violence within the nation.
– “World Information Tonight with David Muir” will function a report and an in-depth take a look at the AR-15 model rifle, the authorized age debate for proudly owning it led by chief nationwide correspondent Matt Gutman, in addition to the place negotiations stand on federal gun laws from congressional correspondent Rachel Scott.
– “Nightline” will function Gutman’s reporting on the AR-15 and likewise communicate to lecturers throughout the nation, who focus on the function of a instructor and the risks of carrying weapons in colleges.
– “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” co-anchor Martha Raddatz travels to Newtown, Connecticut, for an in-depth take a look at the influence of gun violence on college students, mother and father and the group. She’s going to interview Gov. Ned Lamont concerning the modifications in gun management laws for the reason that mass capturing at Sandy Hook Elementary practically ten years in the past and focus on efforts to make firearms safer with the Nationwide Capturing Sports activities Basis’s Mark Olivia.
“GMA3: What You Must Know” may have interviews with two younger gun violence survivors from Stoneman Douglas Excessive College and Oxford Excessive College, as they share what they assume are doable options.
“The View” may have Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) on the present to debate gun violence.
– ABC Information Dwell will report on the profound results of mass trauma and group outreach efforts, in addition to survivor influence tales. On “ABC Information Dwell Prime,” multiplatform reporter Ines de la Cuetara explores how different nations have efficiently handled gun legal guidelines and what they’ve completed. ABC Information Dwell will even function a particular dialog, “Weapons in America: From Buffalo to Uvalde,” at 8:30 p.m. ET/9:30 p.m. PT, centering on two communities — Black and Latino — which might be each in search of accountability within the aftermath of two American tragedies. Hosted by contributor María Elena Salinas, the dialog will embody Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-TX); Vincent Salazar, the grandfather of Layla Salazar, who was killed within the Robb Elementary College capturing; and Pastor Dwayne Jones, a former legislation enforcement officer who knew the Buffalo capturing victims.
– ABC Information Digital may have a devoted touchdown web page for “Weapons in America” protection, that includes information and tales on Uvalde, gun security and mass shootings by the numbers. FiveThirtyEight will publish a ballot on what Individuals take into consideration gun management.
– ABC Information Radio correspondent Jim Ryan will return to Uvalde, Texas, to inform the tales of survivors and family members of the victims, together with 10-year-old Xavier Lopez, whose funeral is Tuesday. ABC Information Radio will even supply customized interviews with Ryan to stations, sharing what has modified within the two weeks for the reason that capturing. Senior investigative reporter Aaron Katersky may have the newest updates on his unique reporting concerning the expertise utilized by faculty officers to set off lockdowns and the lawsuit in opposition to the maker of the rifle used at Robb Elementary. Correspondent Karen Travers will report on the efforts to discover a legislative compromise to handle gun violence. Tuesday’s episode of ABC Information’ flagship every day podcast “Begin Right here,” hosted by Brad Mielke, will function particular protection, together with an interview with Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-TX), who is asking for an FBI investigation into the legislation enforcement response within the Uvalde faculty capturing, and conservative commentator David French will focus on the gun debate within the nation.
– ABC NewsOne, the affiliate information service of ABC Information, shall be reporting on new information which says that the speed of younger individuals taking their very own lives with firearms in america has elevated sooner than for some other age group, and the youth suicide price is at its highest level in additional than 20 years. Whereas firearm suicide total elevated by about 2% throughout the pandemic, the speed amongst younger individuals elevated by 15%, and practically half of all suicide makes an attempt by younger individuals contain a gun, researchers with Everytown For Gun Security discovered. Multiplatform reporter Morgan Norwood will take a look at what’s behind this surge. NewsOne supplies information content material and companies for greater than 200 ABC associates and worldwide information companions.